Breathing- something we all do naturally, and yet at the same time, most of us do not prioritize it. I'll tell you what I mean.
We all breathe, 24/7 - or else we cannot exist. It is vital to our physical existence. So, why don't we prioritize it more? Specifically-- prioritize deep breathing.
Deep breathing is an effective way to reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep, and enhance overall well-being. Similar to mediating, it requires little to no effort, yet has tremendous positive impacts. It allows us to take in more oxygen, focus on our physical bodies, and bring our mind to a state of calm and relaxation. It is something we should make time for periodically, throughout each day.
To practice deep breathing, follow these simple steps:
1. Find a quiet and comfortable place to sit or lie down. If you're at work, not a problem - you can do this right from your desk.
2. Simply relax your shoulders and close your eyes (preferably).
3. Inhale deeply through your nose, filling your lungs with air. Hold your breath for a few seconds, then exhale slowly through your mouth.
4. Repeat this process for several minutes, focusing on the sensation of the breath moving in and out of your body.
5. To enhance your practice, you can try counting your breaths, visualizing a peaceful scene, or listening to calming music. You can even visualize the air going through your lungs, in and out of your body.
With regular practice, deep breathing can become a valuable tool for managing stress and promoting relaxation. This is a simple tool that you can do practically anytime, anywhere - and reap the benefits of such a simple addition to your routine.